THE XXIII ISSCT CONGRESS
POST-CONGRESS TOUR OF PAKISTAN
A three-day tour of Pakistan has been arranged immediately after the conclusion of the XXIII ISSCT Congress at New Delhi on 26th February, 1999. Areas of interest in manufacturing, co-products and sugar cane agriculture will be covered.
|A sight-seeing trip |
of the beautiful historical city
of Lahore has been arranged
along with a visit
to the shopping areas.
Delegates registering for the Post-Congress Tour are advised to get their seats confirmed well in advance on PIA flight No. PK-271 leaving New Delhi for Lahore at 5.00 p.m. on the 26th.
US$700 as Registration Fees will cover :
- Four nights stay in deluxe five-star hotels
- Breakfasts, Lunches & Dinners during the stay
- Transport; airport-hotel-airport
- Accompanying Spouses would be treated as guests without any charges
Registration Fee by Bank draft in US Dollars in the name of "ISSCT Post-Congress Tour" drawn on any New York bank or any bank in Pakistan should be sent along with the Registration Form, duly completed, to :
Mr. Mohammad Asghar Qureshi
General Secretary - Post Congress Organizing Committee
PO Box No 1518, Nishtabad
Tel : +92-41-754 301 to 305
Fax : +92-41-752 215
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
26th February 1999
- Arrival Lahore from New Delhi by PK-271 (6.40 p.m.)
- Reception at Airport and Transfer to Hotels
- Welcome Dinner at 8.30 p.m.
- Short presentation on Pakistan and its Sugar Industry
- Over-night stay at Lahore
27th February 1999
Sight-seeing of the historic city of Lahore will cover :
- Royal Fort - constructed c.1566 A.D. Akbar the Great
- Shalimar Garden - laid out over 42 acres by Emperor Shah Jahan
- Badshahi Mosque - standing in all grandeur across the courtyard from Alamgiri Gate of Lahore Fort. Built in red sand-stone by Emperor Aurangzeb in 1674 A.D.
- Museum - old and new city. Copper, brass, silver as well as traditional textiles are turned out by craftsmen operating from tiny shops in the old city.
- Over night stay at Lahore
28th February 1999
Travel time 3 1/2 hours via newly constructed motorway.
Delegates will be split into two groups. Those interested in visiting manufacturing facilities will be taken to the FactoryThe Agricultural group will visit cane fields and research farms. They will be able to see medium level varieties selection programme followed by Shakarganj Sugar Research Institute.
- Leave Lahore at 0700 hrs.
Spouses can stay back in Lahore for further sight-seeing/shopping. They will leave Lahore at 2.00 p.m. and proceed to Serena Hotel at Faisalabad (travel time 2 1/2 hrs) to join the delegates.
Shakarganj Mills Ltd.
Established in 1974, it is the largest sugar mill in Pakistan. It has expanded its capacity from 1500 TCD at inception to 12000 TCD presently. Sugarcane is milled through two mill tandems. Refined sugar is manufactured.
Co-Generation of Electricity
- Distillery for producing industrial-grade Ethyl Alcohol. Continuous biostill fermentation is practised.
- Particle board plant manufacturing board from 100% bagasse.
- Sugar mill & distillery wastes are composted to produce bio-compost.
- Various sections and operations have been computerized.
Lunch at Shakarganj at 1.00 p.m.
- Surplus electricity is sold outside
Shakarganj Sugar Research Institute
This institute is engaged in :
- Selection of new varities from imported fuzz.
- Sugar Agronomy and development of new varieties
- Soil and water analysis and advisory services for farmers.
- Biological insect control
- Delegates to proceed to Faisalabad at 5.00 p.m. (travel time 1.45 hrs)
- Join the spouses at Serena Hotel, Faisalabad
- Dinner at Serena Hotel
- Night stay at Serena Hotel, Faisalabad
1st March, 1999Factory Group
Husein Sugar Mills at Jaranwala
- Leave Serena Hotel at 8.00 a.m. (Travel time 1.15 hours)
- Reach Husein Sugar Mills, Jaranwala
- Lunch at Husein Sugar Mills at 1.00 p.m.
- Return to Faisalabad at 2.00 p.m.
- Visit Crescent Particle Board Plant enroute.
- Reach Serena Hotel at 5.00 p.m.
- Installed in 1968 with a capacity of 1500 TCD, it manufactured direct consumption white sugar by Double Carbonation and Double Sulphitation of cane juice.
- Now expanded to 6000 TCD.
- Automation has been introduced at mill feeding, boilers, evaporators, chemical control and other operations of the factory.
- Pressure feeder installed in the mills.
- Biological control labaoratory for control of insect-pests working successfully.
- Method of manufacture - raw sugar is produced by defecation, remelting of raw sugar and clarifying of melt by sulphitation.
- Leave Serena Hotel at 8.30 a.m.
- Visit to University of Agriculture, Faisalabad with special visit to their Sugar Cane Research Division
- Visit to Nuclear Institute of Genetic Engineering, Faisalabad with special reference to Sugar cane crop
- Return to Serena Hotel at 1.00 p.m.
- Lunch at 1.30 p.m.
- Visit to Crescent Particle Board Plant at 2.30 p.m.
- Return to Serena Hotel by 5.00 p.m.
- Departure from Serena Hotel at 9.00 a.m.
- Visit the city of Faisalabad
- Return to the Hotel at 1.00 p.m.
- Lunch at 1.30 p.m.
- Visit the city for Shopping at 2.30 p.m.
- Return to Serena Hotel at 5.30 p.m.
2nd March, 1999
- Delegates wishing to leave from Faisalabad will be taken to Faisalabad Airport
- Those wishing to leave from Lahore Airport would be taken to Lahore (Travel time 3 hrs)